In this tutorial, we will show you how to install and configure Firefox Developer Edition on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. For those of you who didn’t know, Firefox developer edition, which is a browser built specifically for web developers, was first introduced by Mozilla back in November 2014. It streamlines the development workflow so developers don’t need to bounce between different platforms and browsers. This browser comes preloaded with many web developer tools such as WebIDE and Valence which allows developers to debug other browsers and apps directly from within Firefox developer. This edition of Firefox is available for most operating systems like Windows, Linux, and MAC OS.
This article assumes you have at least basic knowledge of Linux, know how to use the shell, and most importantly, you host your site on your own VPS. The installation is quite simple and assumes you are running in the root account, if not you may need to add ‘sudo’ to the commands to get root privileges. I will show you through the step by step installation of the Firefox Developer Edition web browser on a Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) server.
Firefox Developer Edition Features
- Visual Editing Tools – Visually edit CSS and HTML animations playing on the page from the Inspector panel. Verify alignment, dimensions, and padding of any element using the Ruler and Measurement tools.
- DevTools Challenger – Use Developer Edition’s visual animation and CSS editing tools to explore the depths of the ocean and interact with the strangest of creatures.
- Performance Tools – Examine your web content’s frame rate, memory consumption, and JS profile in a consolidated timeline view to help easily identify and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks.
- Page Inspector – Examine the HTML and CSS of any Web page and easily modify the structure and layout of a page.
- Web Audio Editor – Inspect and interact with Web Audio API in real-time to ensure that all audio nodes are connected in the way you expect.
- Network Monitor – See all the network requests your browser makes, how long each request takes, and details of each request.
- Style Editor – View and edit CSS styles associated with a Web page, create new ones, and apply existing CSS stylesheets to any page.
- Responsive Design View – See how your Website or Web app will look on different screen sizes without changing the size of your browser window.
Install Firefox Developer Edition on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Step 1. First, make sure that all your system packages are up-to-date by running these following apt-get commands in the terminal.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
Step 2. Installing Firefox Developer Edition.
First, add a repository for download Mozilla Firefox developer edition. Just follow this command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install firefox
Once installed, open the Firefox Developer Edition from Ubuntu Dash.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Firefox Developer Edition. Thanks for using this tutorial for installing the Firefox Developer Edition web browser on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) system. For additional help or useful information, we recommend you to check the official Firefox Developer Edition website.