In this tutorial, we will show you how to install Nvidia Drivers on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. For those of you who didn’t know, Ubuntu by default uses the open-source video driver Nouveau which has limited support and features when compared with proprietary Nvidia drivers. The objective this article is to install the NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu 22.04 and switch from a default opensource Nouveau driver to the proprietary Nvidia driver. Fyi, Nouveau drivers are slower than Nvidia’s proprietary drivers, lacking the latest graphics card hardware’s latest features, software technology, and support.
This article assumes you have at least basic knowledge of Linux, know how to use the shell, and most importantly, you host your site on your own VPS. The installation is quite simple and assumes you are running in the root account, if not you may need to add ‘
sudo‘ to the commands to get root privileges. I will show you the step-by-step installation of the Nvidia graphics processing units (GPUs) Drivers on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish). You can follow the same instructions for Ubuntu 22.04 and any other Debian-based distribution like Linux Mint, Elementary OS, Pop!_OS, and more as well.
- A server running one of the following operating systems: Ubuntu 22.04, 20.04, and any other Debian-based distribution like Linux Mint.
- It’s recommended that you use a fresh OS install to prevent any potential issues.
- SSH access to the server (or just open Terminal if you’re on a desktop).
non-root sudo useror access to the
root user. We recommend acting as a
non-root sudo user, however, as you can harm your system if you’re not careful when acting as the root.
Install Nvidia Drivers on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish
Step 1. First, make sure that all your system packages are up-to-date by running the following
apt commands in the terminal.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade sudo apt install wget apt-transport-https gnupg2 software-properties-common
Step 3. Installing Nvidia Drivers on Ubuntu 22.04.
- Install Nvidia Drivers using the PPA repository.
By default, the Nvidia Drivers are available on Ubuntu 22.04 base repository. Now run the following command below to add the Nvidia drivers repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
Next, identify the NVidia GPU model:
After identifying the NVidia GPU model, now install the latest version of Nvidia Drivers using the below command:
sudo apt install [driver_model_name]
or, run the following command to install the Nvidia driver automatically:
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
All done, now reboot your computer:
After reboot, now confirm using the “
nvidia-smi” command the Nvidia driver version installed:
- Install Nvidia Drivers using GUI.
- Open Software and Updates From the App Menu and select the Software and Updates app.
- Click the Additional Drivers Tab. Wait for the app to download a list of additional drivers available for your GPU.
- From the list, select the latest Nvidia driver labeled proprietary and tested.
- Click Apply Changes.
- Restart your Ubuntu desktop.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Nvidia Drivers. Thanks for using this tutorial for installing the Nvidia GPU Drivers on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish system. For additional help or useful information, we recommend you check the official Nvidia website.