In this tutorial, we will show you how to install Transmission on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. For those of you who didn’t know, Transmission is the default torrent client installed with the GNOME desktop environment on Ubuntu 22.04. All its incarnations feature a very simple, intuitive interface on top of an efficient, cross-platform back-end.
This article assumes you have at least basic knowledge of Linux, know how to use the shell, and most importantly, you host your site on your own VPS. The installation is quite simple and assumes you are running in the root account, if not you may need to add ‘
sudo‘ to the commands to get root privileges. I will show you the step-by-step installation of the Transmission BitTorrent client on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish). You can follow the same instructions for Ubuntu 20.04, 18.04, and any other Debian-based distribution like Linux Mint.
Benefit of Transmission:
Simplicity and User-Friendly Interface: Transmission is known for its simplicity and easy-to-use interface. It provides a straightforward way to download and manage torrent files on Ubuntu, making it suitable for both beginners and advanced users.
- Lightweight and Resource-Friendly: Transmission is a lightweight torrent client, which means it consumes fewer system resources compared to some other clients. This makes it a good choice for Ubuntu users, especially those with older or less powerful hardware.
- Open Source and Free: Transmission is an open-source software distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). This means you can freely download, use, modify, and distribute it without any cost. Its open nature also allows for community contributions and continuous improvement.
- Cross-Platform Support: While Transmission is commonly associated with Linux-based systems like Ubuntu, it is also available for other platforms such as macOS and Windows. This allows for seamless synchronization and sharing of torrent files across different operating systems.
- Remote Access and Web Interface: Transmission provides a web interface that allows you to access and manage your torrents remotely. You can control your downloads, add new torrents, and monitor their progress using a web browser from any device connected to the same network. This feature is particularly useful for headless servers or accessing torrents on the go.
- Advanced Features: Despite its simplicity, Transmission offers a range of advanced features. You can prioritize and schedule downloads, set bandwidth limits, enable encryption, and use RSS feeds to automatically download torrents based on specified criteria. These features provide more control and customization options for managing your torrent downloads.
Active Development and Community Support: Transmission has an active development community, ensuring regular updates, bug fixes, and security patches. This means you can expect ongoing support and improvements for the client, making it a reliable choice for long-term usage.
- A server running one of the following operating systems: Ubuntu 22.04, 20.04, 18.04, and any other Debian-based distribution like Linux Mint.
- It’s recommended that you use a fresh OS install to prevent any potential issues.
- SSH access to the server (or just open Terminal if you’re on a desktop).
non-root sudo useror access to the
root user. We recommend acting as a
non-root sudo user, however, as you can harm your system if you’re not careful when acting as the root.
Install Transmission on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish
Step 1. First, make sure that all your system packages are up-to-date by running the following
apt commands in the terminal.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade
Step 2. Installing Transmission BitTorrent client on Ubuntu 22.04.
By default, Transmission is not available on Ubuntu 22.04 base repository. Now run the following command below to add the Transmission PPA repository to your system:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:transmissionbt/ppa
After the repository is enabled, now install the latest version of Transmission using the below command:
sudo apt update sudo apt install transmission
Confirm the installation and check the installed build version of Transmission:
Step 3. Accessing Transmission on Ubuntu 22.04.
Once successfully installed on your Ubuntu system, run the following path on your desktop to open the path:
Activities -> Show Applications -> Transmission or launching it through the terminal with the command shown below:
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Transmission. Thanks for using this tutorial for installing the Transmission BitTorrent client on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish system. For additional help or useful information, we recommend you check the official Transmission website.