In this tutorial, we will show you how to install HandBrake on your Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. For those of you who didn’t know, HandBrake is a popular video transcoding tool that will convert video files into numerous different video and audio formats so they can be used on a number of supported devices.
This article assumes you have at least basic knowledge of Linux, know how to use the shell, and most importantly, you host your site on your own VPS. The installation is quite simple and assumes you are running in the root account, if not you may need to add ‘
sudo‘ to the commands to get root privileges. I will show you through the step-by-step installation of the HandBrake open-source video transcoder on the Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver server.
- Convert Video from any format.
- Built-in device presets e.g. iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Android, etc.
- Ability to process DVD and BlueRay sources.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV.
- Video Encoders: H.264(x264), H.265(x265) MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 (libav), VP8 (libvpx) and Theora.
- Audio Encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only), MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis.
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC, and MP3 tracks.
- Title / Chapter selection.
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT).
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Denoise, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping, and scaling.
Install HandBrake on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
Step 1. First, make sure that all your system packages are up-to-date by running the following
apt-get commands in the terminal.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
Step 2. Installing HandBrake.
First, you’ll need to add Handbrake’s PPA (personal package archive) to your system:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
Then run the commands below to update Ubuntu and install HandBrake:
sudo apt update sudo apt install handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli
Once installed, next you can start HandBrake by searching for it Unity Dash. If the app icon doesn’t show up, try logging out and logging back in.
If you decide that you don’t want HandBrake apps installed anymore, run the commands below to remove the package:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
Congratulations! You have successfully installed HandBrake. Thanks for using this tutorial for installing HandBrake open-source video transcoder in Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver systems. For additional help or useful information, we recommend you check the official HandBrake website.